12 September, 2018
French Cooking: French Food: Soup Recipes: Vichyssoise: Potato Soup Served Cold
Vichyssoise is the classic cold potato soup that is served during the summer in France. It is an easy potato soup recipe that is easy to make and delicious to eat! Potato leek soup pureed and then chilled made in either the vegetarian or non-vegetarian way. My recipe is a modification of Julia Child’s Vichyssoise recipe. This is a lovely and refreshing dish that is good all year round but, particularly so during the summer months anywhere in the world. The recipe can be found below. Enjoy!
The Knives I Use In My Kitchen
The Gear I Use To Sharpen My Knives:
DMT W6X: http://amzn.to/1anfp2A
DMT W6F: http://amzn.to/15hhl74
DMT W6E: http://amzn.to/1bSILDL
DMT W8CXNB: http://amzn.to/19gxz4y
DMT W8EFNB: http://amzn.to/129DEJP
DMT W250CXNB: http://goo.gl/eS2Tu
DMT D8EE: http://amzn.to/16FW1LO
Spyderco 302UF: http://amzn.to/18Xq59O
Spyderco 302U: http://amzn.to/18XqbhG
Surgical Black Arkansas: http://amzn.to/129FPNu
4 Cups of sliced leeks the white part and only a little of the light green part.
1/2 Of one white or brown onion finely diced.
4 Cups of diced potatoes. I used red potatoes but you can use Yukon golds or even baking potatoes if you wish.
6 to 7 Cups of chicken stock. The same amount of water if you want to make this in the vegetarian alternative recipe.
1 to 2 Tsp of salt or to taste. In the video I add salt and pepper in stages as I build layers of flavor.
1/2 Cup or more of heavy cream, half and half, sour cream or creme fraiche as option to build creamy texture of soup.
1 or 2 Tablespoons of sour cream for garnish.
1 or more Tablespoons of chopped chives or combination of chive spears and chopped chives for garnish.
1/4 to 1/2 Stick of butter.
1 Large saucepan at least 4 quarts or small to medium stockpot with a heavy bottom.
1 Large saute pan. A 12 inch saute pan will do best.
1 Immersion blender or a regular blender.
1. In a large saute pan melt your butter and saute your leeks and onions until soft and translucent. Add a touch of salt and black or white pepper to build flavor layer. Don’t burn the butter and don’t let the leeks and onion carmelize.
2. Once the leeks and the onions have softened and gotten translucent put them in a large saucepan or medium/large stock/saucepot.
3. Now add your diced potatoes to the leeks and onions in the stockpot. Add just enough Chicken stock to cover the potatoes and leeks. Bring to the boil for one or two minutes and then reduce to a simmer. Add a pinch of salt and black or white pepper for the flavor layer. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
4. Now if you have a immersion blender you can use it to puree the potatoes and leeks into your soup. If not like I did in the video I used a potato masher to “pre-puree” the potatoes and leeks so that I can use a regular blender to do the final puree of the potato soup recipe. I was able to puree all the potato soup in my pot using my blender twice. With each blender full when done pour potato soup into another pot or big bowl to be ready to be chilled before serving.
5. Once you have pureed the potato soup recipe make sure to taste it and make any corrections you want in your salt and pepper that you want to make. Allow the potato soup recipe to cool on your counter for about 30 minutes before putting the mixture in the fridge to chill.
6. Place your serving bowls in the fridge to get really cold.
7. Cut yourself some chive spears and then finely chop the rest of the chives that you wish to use as garnish.
8. Just before serving the Vichyssoise potato soup you can pour in your heavy cream, half and half, creme fraiche or sour cream to give the Vichyssoise that final creamy layer of flavor and texture and mix it in well. The Vichyssoise will take on a nice white creamy color as well.
9. When you finally put the Vichyssoise potato soup into your bowls garnish with a dollop or two of sour cream, creme fraiche, or heavy cream in the center of the bowl and then add some chive spears and chopped chives and serve!